Is Insurance Different for Electric Vehicles?
Dan Levenson March 03, 2022
More and more people are looking at ways to save the environment. They want to do their part to make it better. One such way is to buy an electric vehicle instead of a conventional one. These vehicles can be more costly, but many hope that the amount of money that they save on gas will outweigh these higher costs.
Either way, you will still need to get car insurance for your new vehicle. If you choose an electric vehicle, you may be unsure if you need to know anything special about purchasing insurance. In some ways, it is similar, but there are also differences.
Here are some ways that insurance is the same for conventional and electric vehicles.
- You are still purchasing the same type of insurance. You will look at different plans that include liability, bodily injury, collision, and even comprehensive coverage. Due to the increased cost of fixing your car, you may want to purchase a better plan with collision and comprehensive insurance. You don’t want to get stuck without a vehicle if it gets totaled.
- Most automotive insurance companies offer insurance for electric vehicles. You can still go through your same insurance company when it comes to electric cars. Most of your bigger insurance companies have started to offer insurance for these types of vehicles.
Here are some ways that insurance is different.
- You should expect to pay more for insurance for electric vehicles. Unfortunately, it is more costly to fix or replace electric vehicles, so you should expect to pay more in your monthly or yearly insurance bills.
- You may not be able to get discounts on your insurance with electric vehicles. Though most insurance companies offer discounts for many reasons (multiple cars, bundling your home and auto, and much more), you may not get these discounts for your electric vehicles.
So, what tips should you know before buying insurance for your electric vehicle?
- It is always a good idea to shop around. You should never buy the first policy that you see. Instead, shop around. Talk to several insurance companies and compare their plans. However, you need to remember that not all plans are the same. You need to look at the fine print to really decide which plan offers you more for less.
- You shouldn’t always go for the cheapest plan. No matter how much you want to save money, you should avoid going with the cheapest plan. Even if it is enough to satisfy your state minimum, it might cost you in the long run. Could you really afford to replace your car if it got totaled? If not, you may want to look at a comprehensive plan.
- Look for companies that will reward you. Some companies are giving discounts for those who only drive electric cars. They may be able to give you a better deal than some of the other companies.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for discounts. Though you may not be eligible for discounts, it never hurts to ask. You may be surprised by the answer, especially if you go in thinking that you won’t get any discounts.
Buying insurance for your electric vehicle isn’t much different than regular vehicles. You are still going to want to shop around at multiple companies. You also need to decide if you just want the liability or if you want collision or comprehensive coverage. That being said, you are probably going to have to pay a little more for your insurance, due to the expense of an electric vehicle. You may also not be eligible for discounts, though it doesn’t hurt to ask!
Whether you have an electric or conventional vehicle, don’t hesitate to contact us today to see what we have to offer you.